Wednesday, December 23, 2009

One of my favorite holidays has always been Christmas. Yes, there are presents involved, but for me it's mostly been about family. I was blessed enough that Christmas meant family gathering together at my dad's house on Christmas Eve, eating, visiting, and laughing. After I began playing the piano, it also meant me fumbling through Christmas Carols as one of my school friends sat next to me, singing her heart out. Sometimes, she and I would even walk the neighborhood singing carols, but not being brave enough to knock on people's doors; I guess we just liked the sound of our own voices. Towards the end of the evening I usually opened presents from visiting relatives, then off to bed where I prayed for snow before falling asleep.

The following morning (which living in Southern California was snow free), I'd wake early and investigate the gift situation before waking my parents. Once I had an idea what to expect, I diplomatically (ok maybe not so much) ran to my parents room and woke them up. As I got older, I waited a little longer before waking them up, then finally in high school I just went back to bed until they woke me up.

After presents and breakfast, it was time for family again, only this time, we trekked up to the family house in Lakeside for brunch. I'd take what ever new item excited me the most, and we'd spend the rest of the day sitting in the living room enjoying our time together. When I became bored (if my cousins weren't around), I'd venture outside and play around the property. It was a simple time. My aunt and uncle didn't watch TV, so that wasn't even an option for me. It was either family or imagination. That was Christmas.

After I married my daughter's dad, I had it easy. We still spent Christmas Eve with my family, then his family we visited on Christmas Day. Nothing complicated. But with my son's dad, new situations arose I never would have imagined. His family is from Peru which is where most of them are during the holidays. Christmas can be hard when your family is that far away and you can't just run over to see them. Also, Hispanics tend to celebrate Christmas at 12 am on the 25th. Midnight! They have a feast, open presents, the works. Well, that can be difficult when I want to spend at least some time with my family on Christmas Eve. Last year it was nearly impossible because my husband's brother decided to have a Christmas Eve dinner at their house, but it was at the same time as my parent's dinner. Needless to say, every year it's been something. This year, I am hoping for the best. My cousins are in town so we are spending most of Christmas Eve at my dad's house. We will then leave to come home and have Christmas at 12 am complete with Turkey and all the trimmings. After we get some sleep, it will be up to Lakeside for Texas brisket and more visiting with my cousins and family. I am highly optimistic things will work out this year. It's all about compromise and family. Isn't that what the holidays are about anyway?

So how about it people? How do you spend your holidays? What crazy (or not so crazy) stories do you have to share? Inquiring minds would like to know....

No comments:

Post a Comment